Getting a Puppy Neutered

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Getting a Puppy Neutered

I scheduled Finn's neutering apointment for two weeks from now. It was a bit sad, the little guy has no idea what we are doing to him. But alas, it is the law in California that pets must be spay and neutered (there are some exceptions). The surgery has the added benefit of controling Finn's hormones and staving off behavioral problems. Hopefully seventh months turns out to be the right age for Finn, but I don't want to put it off any longer and risk having him get hurt running around the neighborhood looking for a girl. He is not as innocent as he looks below, I know he has the energy to go crazy.

More on spay and neutering and some common questions. Any tips for helping Finn have a smooth surgery? Please leave a comment.

5 Comments:

Amber-Mae said...

Oh oh! Poor Finn... Well, I've met some boyz who have been neutered already but their behavior did not change at all. Depends on which dog. Not all dogs calm down & be less dominant after neutering. I hope Finn will calm down after his surgery. He will heal very fast. On the same day, he can go home & he will not even realized that his jewels had been snipped off, hehehe! Good luck to him.

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Jan said...

AB1634, the California mandatory spay and neutering bill has NOT been passed.

Curt Rogers said...

Neutering is a good idea and Finn will be fine. Duncan adapted amazingly well the day of his neuter, much more so than I would've thought, and certainly far better than I would've. An hour after we brought him home he was running and bounding and wrestling as if nothing had happened. It's a good thing to do, not only for the unwanted pet population, but for Finn's health (by greatly reducing the risk of certain kinds of cancer).

I do have two words of advice for you: PAIN PATCH. Any doctor who tells you animals don't feel pain like people doesn't know his head from his butt.

Finn will be great. Just wait and see!cleo138

Tish said...

Your review has been posted on BlogsWeLuv! I hope you enjoy it. :)

Johann The Dog said...

Finn will be fine - I was up and myself within hours. Actually it's so much easier for boys....my sis, Gracie, had to be on leash rest for five days.