A volunteer Dog

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A volunteer Dog

First Day Volunteering. | The Adventures of Spencer : Sticker Dog's mascot's Blog

One of the blogs I read on a regular basis is about a dog who was recently certified as a therapy dog. Spencer is a vibrant golden retriever that I am sure brings smiles to people's faces.

I hope one day we can bring Finn to the point where he can do these sorts of things. As I always maintain, watching him make a stranger smile is the best feeling, but there are some steps to take first. Of course the training we are doing with him now will help, but one of the goals of this should be the American Kennel Club's Canine Good Citizen test. Sure some of the tasks are a little ways off:


Test 8: Reaction to another dog

This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely around other dogs. Two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of about 20 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for about 10 feet. The dogs should show no more than casual interest in each other. Neither dog should go to the other dog or its handler.


but I am confident Finn will be able to pass this test with flying colors. Once he passes this crazy puppy stage we'll set some more goals but for now we are content to enjoy watching him sit and lay down on command.

here is a little video of a portion of our training session. As you can see he is starting to know down pretty well. I can get him to do it without treats too, but he doesn't stay down as long. Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Spencer said...

Hi Finn & Dad,

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm sure Finn will be able to pass all the good citizen tests with flying colors soon. He's a puppy so he has that extra energy but we all mellow aout after a while, BOL!

Daisy said...

Hi Finn! You are a very Good Boy. I liked watching your training session. I am a cat, so I am just a little bit scairt of you.

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

Hi Finn, We know spencer and Daisy too. Bobby my cat was just watching your video and he said you are very smart to obey your daddy like that. We are sure that you will earn your certificate.

Theresa111
"Sleeping Kitten - Dancing Dog!"