Pet Insurance, Is it a good thing?

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pet Insurance, Is it a good thing?

We are thinking of signing Finn up for some pet insurance and I am writing this to see if any other dog owners have it, or have thoughts about it. Please leave them in the comments, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

We plan on using VPI, which is the largest provider of pet insurance. And what's more we are going to go for the VPI superior plan.

I have tried to find reviews for these and they are all over the board. At one site VPI has 15 reviews totalling a .5 on a ten point scale. However most sites with more than one review there are getting low numbers and I assume it because people don't tend to go searching around for sites to review something if they are happy with it and it does what it is supposed to. Then of course there is an About.com article which puts VPI comparable or better than most of the alternatives. Epinons has some pet insurance reviews but the first negative one is from someone who has only had coverage for less than a month, and how can you review an insurance company after a single month?

I called our vet and she didn't give a real endorsement one way or the other. Her opinion seemed to be, it might help/it might not. Although not very helpful her advice did let me know that either way I should make sure to be as diligent about Finn's health as I am about any human member of the family.

The ten pet insurance questions posted at About seem good but nothing helps as much as a personal opinion from a real customer. So again, please, if you have ever had pet insurance or have personal experiences with it please share. I just want to make sure Finn is always active and happy, and causing my action shots to be blurry.

1 Comment:

Johann The Dog said...

Mum has pet insurance on me! She did a lot of research before she got it for me when I was 4 months old.

She decided that instead of getting the entire wellness program, she would get an accident/illness only policy, cause that's when it gets real expensive.

Well, it sure has paid off! Paid for up to $1,000 on my surgery after the dog attacked me, $300 on my dislocated toe, and $1,000 of my expenses when I got my broken foot. And it's going to pay for my vet bills when I recently had the bout of gastroenteritis.

Here is the link to where she bought it: It's called QuickCare and they are very prompt and helpful. She loved it so much she signed up Gracie, Wolfie and Wiggy!

http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-1830651-10372343

Hope that helps!